Wednesday, October 7, 2009

lippmann funky chunky

Deconstruction is what Deb Lippmann claims her intent was with Funky Chunky. Deconstruction is a way of tearing apart the foundation of what we know something as and showing it's instability or complexity. I am really not sure how or why that should apply to nail polish. Maybe it's just from the simple aspect of everything has already been 'done'.
Take the new Matte trend. it's the new big thing...but it's actually old.
Deb mentioned on her blog that she thought her polish looked like the top of the Anniversary box. Sequins scattered in the black. And while the basic idea does...the lack of the matte vs shine that the box has and the polish does not, makes my nails look like a lumpy bubbly hot mess.

So, while I appreciate the intent behind it I can't love it.
I don't actually hate it though, which surprised me.
The big mental block I have against textured nail polish is that it's...well, textured. As a nail polish nut I work really hard to create a smooth as glass, candy like finish on my nails. I love Poshe and Seche Vite for their ability to smooth out a surface and make it shine.

Putting lumps in my nail polish just makes me feel self conscience about them. I know they are 'deconstructed' but the chick at ULTA just thinks I layered my black over a glitter or I was half asleep painting them in various spots rather then taking my time to do a nice mani.
I will admit that I like the look up close. I do like to stare at the shapes. I just doubt anyone else is going to look close enough to appreciate them.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think it looks half as bad as in most other pics I've seen. I have FC too but I don't know if I can bring myself into trying it :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the right idea to appreciate it close up. Everyone else will just think you have lumpy polish. I own this polish and tried it one once. I just couldn't keep it on.

    ReplyDelete